The answer to this question varies depending on several factors. A few being, your baby’s age and how well sleep fundamentals are being established. Our Client’s goals are our goals and the plan of action will reflect these goals. If a family is happy with one-night feeding until 6 months, that is the goal. If a family would like their baby sleeping through the night as soon as possible, the expectation is we work to facilitate that by 3-4 months of age, if appropriate.
Generally speaking, we are looking for stretches of sleep in the following tiers:
- 3 weeks old - 3 hour stretches at night
- 5 weeks old - (1) 4-5 hour stretch of sleep and several shorter stretches of 3 hours.
- 8 weeks old - (1) 6-8 hour stretch of sleep and several shorter stretches of 3-4 hours.
- 12 weeks old - (1) 8-12 hour stretch of sleep and (1) shorter stretch of sleep.
- 12-16 weeks old - sleeping through the night or one remaining night feed around 2-3 am.
Do you have a question not covered above? We're happy to answer any questions you have regarding sleep training, reflux, colic, newborn, surrogate parents or any other baby issues.